Saturday, September 22
Drop in: 9:30am - 12pm
Urban Ecology Center
3700 W Pierce St
Milwaukee, WI 53215
The Menomonee River Fishing Clinic is possible due to a a partnership with the Great Lakes Sport Fishermen, Menomonee Valley Partners, the Urban Ecology Center, and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
Spend a family-friendly morning learning about the Menomonee River, fish you can find here, and techniques that could lead you to the big one. This event occurs around the annual fall salmon run and we could see dozens of salmon swimming upstream to spawn. Come cast a line with us!
The Menomonee River Fishing Clinic will be held rain or shine. Sessions run with 1-7 participants beginning at 9:30am and starting every 20 mins with the last session beginning at 11:00am. Stations cover the following:
- Safety & Equipment Use
- Fish Identification & Regulations
- Fishing Techniques
- Knot Tying
- Fish Cleaning & Cooking Demonstrations
Once you've learned all the skills, grab a rod and reel and head down to the Menomonee River to try out your new skills. A volunteer from the Great Lakes Sports Fishermen will be by the river to help you out.
A few quick details:
- Instruction is geared towards kids age 15 years & under. Children under 12 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- Fishing equipment is available, but bring your own rod and reel if possible.
- Lunch is provided free to all participants completing the sessions (while supplies last).
- Kids ages 15 and under do not require a fishing license. Those age 16 and older require a fishing license from the Wisconsin DNR and a Great Lakes Salmon/Trout Stamp. More information here.
Pre-registration not necessary, but it helps us plan.
Catch the fall salmon run
Questions? Contact Michelle Kramer at Michelle@RenewTheValley.org or call 414-221-5508.